Its an interesting situation. I'm ready to go back to work and do experiments and interact with my labmates (who I really enjoy). I'm ready to have a normal daily routine that doesn't involve diapers 80% of the time. I'm ready to have a few hours to myself everyday. I'm really looking forward to doing some science and having high end scientific conversations that aren't about physics.
What I'm not looking forward to is leaving Cora for a big chunk of each day. I know I'm not the only person who's had to deal with the separation anxiety and mommy guilt issues, and that makes it a little easier. That and knowing that the women at the daycare we're using are wonderful, loving people who will take the best care of her. (Seriously - the woman we talked with when I went to visit gave me a hug and promised me Cora was in good hands. All the other ladies came to look at Cora and coo over her.)
So, in order to maximize and really take advantage of these last few days, I have declared them to be "no work all play" days. I'm not doing any unnecessary chores, running no unneeded errands, and taking a break from cleaning. Instead, I'm spending lots of time cuddling and "playing" with Cora.
As much as anyone can play with a 6 week old.
We sat on a palate made up on the living room floor for some play time yesterday. Cora squirmed and flailed and whipped her head back and forth. She gurgled and cooed and blew bubbles. I watched and tickled and occasionally got hit by a flailing limb.
When I pulled out my camera to take a little video, shyness apparently kicked in. The squirming slowed down. The noises all but stopped. She turned her head away. I don't believe she's old enough to either recognize the camera or be shy, but she certainly didn't want to cooperate.
After 4 attempts I finally managed a decent video, complete with cute baby noises.
Today we're going to the park for some sunlight (as long as it's still cool when Geoff gets back from his bike ride). Maybe we'll pack a picnic, too, if the timing is right for lunch. Then we can stroll around the little walking path and lay in the shade of the huge oak trees in the park. Not a bad way to spend part of the Labor Day weekend!
P.S. I've never uploaded video before, so please leave a comment if it doesn't work and I'll try to figure it out.
The video works just fine, Gena....so fun to see Cora move around and make noises, since all I had seen were the still pics. Keep enjoying her....
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed hearing the little baby sounds. It has been awhile. Enjoy her! They do grow up too quickly.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing her wiggle and hearing her cute noises! She looks fat and sassy.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom
Baby noises are the best!
ReplyDeleteI looooove the baby noises!
ReplyDelete