Dear Gena,
On this day 10 years ago, I married the girl of my dreams.
About a month earlier we had made the decision to get married early if I was ever called up for deployment. I received that call on February 5, 2005, and one week later we were married. The wedding was bittersweet, as we were both joining our families in marriage, and saying goodbye. As a 22 year old, I had no doubt that I would return in full health, but over the years I have developed a better understanding for what you and my family must have felt. I cannot thank you (or my family) enough for carrying that burden. To me, it was just what had to happen next.
I will never forget the JAG officer sitting across from me during processing, telling me I was crazy for signing an unrestricted general power of attorney after just 4 weeks of marriage. "You know she can leave you and take everything you own, right?" Yes sir, I do. I felt the same way when we started dating two weeks before she moved away from our college town. I never questioned whether or not we should date, distance was just what had to happen next. So here we were, starting the next stage in our relationship at a distance. I freely admit I am a jealous man, but I never once doubted your devotion. Having lived apart for most of our dating life, I was sure we would make it through this just as easily. I was wrong about the easy part, but we made it.
Through the last 10 years you have been my glue. I have nearly broken so many times, but you have been thee to keep me together. You inspired me to be a better student and eventually pursue a graduate degree. You even followed me to southern Louisiana (that's some serious love!), where we discovered a mutual love for Cajun food and croaking frogs. We brought two amazing children into this world and you continually amaze me with your patience, kindness, and wisdom as we try to turn them into fully-functional human beings. You're pretty good at putting up with the kids, too. :) I hope that over the next 10 years I can make you feel as loved, safe, appreciated, fulfilled and happy as you have made me. I hope I can be the husband and father you and our kids deserve. I hope do these things without seeking thanks, but simply because that's just what has to happen next.
Thank you for not leaving me and taking everything I own.
I love you, and happy Anniversary.
Geoff
No comments:
Post a Comment